HBO’s original series True Blood: The Complete Third Season shot to the top of the best-selling DVD during the week ending 4 June, 2011, according to Rentrak Corp. It’s not surprising that with all the hype surrounding the premiere of the fourth season of the wildly popular vampire and shape-shifter drama, the Season 3 DVD would do well the week after it was released to video. What might surprise some not familiar with the show is that more than a year after it was released to video True Blood: The Complete Season 2 also made last week’s best-seller list. Further, it seems the True Blood series is one fans want to own for their very own more than rent since True Blood: The Complete Season 3 barely managed to make the most rented DVD list sneaking on at Number 10 for the week ending 5 June, 2011.
Other preternatural films joining True Blood on the best selling DVDs list were:
- Gnomeo & Juliet fell to Number 2 last week beneath the bloody onslaught. Director Kelly Asbury takes movie-lovers inside the secret world of gnomes in this retelling of Shakespeare’s tragic love-story that also managed to be the third most rented video in its first week on the charts. Joining Gnomeo (voiced by James McAvoy) and Juliet (voiced by Emily Blunt) in this family film are preternatural standard-bearers Maggie Smith as Lady Blueberry, Jason Statham as Tybalt, Michael Caine as Lord Redbrick and Patrick Stewart as Ben Shakespeare. This little adventure is going a lawn way for Touchstone.
- I Am Number Four was actually Number 3 on the top-selling list for Dreamworks. Extraordinary teen John Smith (Alex Pettyfer) and his guardian Henri (Timothy Olyphant) also took second place among the top-selling DVDs for the week as they sought to hide from their deadly enemies. Director D.J. Caruso takes viewers on an even more thrilling ride with the I Am Number Four DVD than the theatrical release. Only one week from release, film-lovers will be among the first to discover deleted scenes and more.
- Another newcomer to the list, Drive Angry, Summit Entertainment’s tale of a father (Nicholas Cage) who escapes hell to chase down the men who killed his daughter and kidnapped his granddaughter was the fourth best-selling DVD of the week. Directed by Patrick Lussier, Drive Angry also stars popular preternatural faces Billy Burke (the Twilight Saga) as Jonah King and David Morse (Medium, Contact and Treme) as Webster.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 – At Number 6, it seems fans are preparing for the upcoming release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (also directed by David Yates) in July by taking Part 1 home now. The Boy That Lived (Daniel Radcliffe), He who Shall Not Be Named (Ralph Fiennes) and a host of other witches (including Maggie Smith), wizards not to mention Best Villain Draco Malfoy (Tom Felton) are still charming audiences 8 weeks after being released to video by Warner Bros.
- Tangled – This animated retelling of the Rapunzel fairy tale actually rose to Number 8 among the best-sellers ten weeks after being released onto video by Disney. Directors Nathan Greno and Byron Howard, whose voices join those of Mandy Moore (Rapunzel), Zachary Levy (Flynn Rider), Ron Perlman (Stabbington Brother) and Paul F. Tompkins (Short Thug), take everyone on a delightful romp of self-discovery in a DVD bursting with never-before-seen bonus features from Disney.
I Am Number Four and Gnomeo and Juliet were also among the top renting DVDs (numbers 1 and 4, respectively) for the week along with The Rite and True Blood (Number 9).
The Rite dropped to Number 7 among the most rented titles Like seminarian Michael Kovak (Colin O’Donoghue), viewers catch glimpses of phenomena they can’t explain as they seek out veteran exorcist Father Lucas Trevant (Anthony Hopkins) to learn the tricks of the exorcism trade and witness their failure. Rutger Hauer also stars in director Mikael Håfström’s horrific thriller that leaves you questioning just what you believe in the Warner Bros. film.
That’s all for this week! Visit The Preternatural Post every week for a glimpse into the top-selling and renting preternatural videos and in the meantime, let us know which of these are your favorites!