Comic cons have changed a lot over their history. Not everyone is happy about that. What began as a celebration of comic books have grown to include books, games, movies, television, cosplay, merchandise and much more. Artists and writers were featured guests rather than actors or Hollywood-types, who, if they did attend were as likely to be fans themselves. The first events were often organized by volunteers and sponsored by comic book stores and local businesses. Now they are big business. Well, not all of them. This April comic books fans will have the chance to experience that bygone era again for themselves the the 3rd Annual Fried Pie Comic Con in Newark, NJ.
This amazing event is coming FOR ONE DAY ONLY (Saturday, April 21, 2018) to 2nd & Charles (101 Geoffrey Dr., in Newark, NJ) and will include an Artists Alley featuring more than 40 creators and publishers. Image Comics, Dark Horse Comics, Z2 Comics and Viz Media are among this year’s sponsoring publishers. In addition, there will be a panel discussion and autograph signings!
Among the headliners attending are:
- Missy Pena (Love her Art History for Nerds tumblr!)
- Cara McGee (Dodge City with Josh Trujillo is due out in Nov. 2018!!)
- Magdalene Visaggio (of Kim & Kim fame)
- Ian McGinty (can’t wait for Moop’s Monster Mashup!)
- Andrew MacLean (the creator of Head Lopper himself!)
- Carolyn Nowak (get to know her on Twitter @CarolynCNovak)
- Emmett Helen (there are some great sketches on the artist’s FB Page — has anyone heard what’s happening with My Riot??)
- Tyler Boss (see his latest in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Universe #18)
“It has been an exciting few years being able to watch Fried Pie Comic Con grow from our first convention in 2016,” said Spencer Simpson of Fried Pie Comics. “These annual events provide a great opportunity for pop culture fans to interact with writers and artists — as well as take home some of their work — and we look forward to celebrating comic book lovers again in 2018!”